Thursday, July 7, 2011

Fine Art Color Abstract Photograph by Brad Rickerby - Hong Kong Harbor Abstract

Hong Kong Harbor Abstract
Photo By Brad Rickerby
Limited Editions Prints Available

This is one of the original images from my "City Lights" series, made on my second trip to Hong Kong. The image is on film, Fuji Velvia 50 (I loved that film).

You have to sit and watch the sun set over Hong Kong Harbor to understand just what a magical event that is. Capturing that magic on camera could be a life time project, there are so very many ways that it could be done. In this case a 200 mm lens was mounted with camera on a tripod. The film was set for a one stop push (to create a little grain and give me a tiny bit more latitude in the camera settings). This is about a ten second exposure with the lens set at f 2.8. During that ten second exposure I kicked the tripod, just a little bit, to give a blur to the overall image. Combine with the minimal grain effect from the film push, the image comes out more of a painting than a photographic likeness. This is exactly what I wanted.

I also waited for a boat to pass in front of me - in this case the Star Ferry leaving from Kowloon - to provide a light streak in the foreground.

I love the density of the modern buildings in the background, the overwhelming number of which have lit windows.

This image sold a lot back in the days when it was made. Buyers have become much more photorealistic these days and have moved away from this type of creativity. So sad!

For more information and to order prints, please contact me at brad@bradrickerby.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment