Thursday, March 31, 2011

Fine Art Color Abstract Photograph by Brad Rickerby - Girl in Pool

Abstract Photograph of a Girl Walking at the Bottom of a Swimming Pool.



Girl in Pool
Photo by Brad Rickerby
Limited Edition Prints Available

My agency wanted me to "think outside the box". This is part of what I came up with. Let me tell you, this was not an easy image to create. We had to get the model, Tomi, at the bottom of the pool at the same time that I was swimming down to about mid level. I needed to be looking over her back and have the air bubbles from her jumping in just rising to the surface. She would jump in, I would count to two and follow her. I would have to dive to the right place, figure out where I was, get the camera to my face, focus and then snap the frame. All the while just assuming that the auto exposure was working correctly.

You can bet we both jumped in the water a LOT that day.

More, I was using a Nikonnos back in the film days. Manuel focus and, I had to change film every 36 images. Thankfully I had an assistant that day. Her only job was to dry the camera, keep her hands dry and then change the film without getting water into the camera.

I know that this was taken with a 35 mm lens on Fuji Velvia (50 ASA), but as for shutter speed and f-stop, I can only same that there is a good depth of field and that the shutter speed was high enough to stop the bubbles in mid rise to the surface.

Days like this are why I love photography. You get to be wild and creative, and do something entirely different than the rest of the world. While it is, at times, hard work, you feel very gratified at the end of the day and you sleep well at night.

Limited Edition prints are always available. Please contact me at brad@bradrickerby.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment