Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Fine Art Color Abstract Photograph by Brad Rickerby - Cityscape Hong Kong

My vision of the crowded streets of Hong Kong at night.

Faceless, Hong Kong
Photo by Brad Rickerby
Limited Edition Prints Available

When the light turns green, when the sign says walk go, you walk. Crossing the street. You go, the mass arounds you go and the mass from the other side of the street goes. You move through each other when you meant. Never looking up, just getting through. The faces are blurs, devoid of features. Maybe they have them, but you never notice, just as they never notice you. In a city of hundreds of thousands or even more, millions, the chance that you will ever see that face that you didn't see the first time around is so small that you figure don't bother. 

I tried to capture this feeling for a long time and finally found it in Hong Kong one night. The two large faces in the foreground are what sell the meaning. (Sadly, because of those blurs, this will image will never work for commercial or stock purposes.)

A 17 - 35 mm lens, set at 29 mm was used to create this image. It was shot at ISO 200, f2.8 at 1/8th second. When the light turned green I just walked out into the intersection and stopped in the middle of the street. I turned sideways and pushed the shutter. I had to do this several times to get an image I liked. People always bump into me when I shot this picture. I just smile and apologize. They shake their heads at the crazy American and go about their businesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment